Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- consult with at least four (4) clients, each with different hair straightening needs, and cumulatively complete these treatments which consistently achieve the planned degree of hair straightening or relaxation and without hair breakage: protein treatments on untreated natural curly or wavy hair; protein treatments on chemically treated hair; protein treatments on strong or resistant natural curls;
- for each client, complete a pre-treatment hair analysis covering the following characteristics to recommend appropriate protein straightening treatments: hair and scalp condition; hair texture; hair density; hair porosity; degree of curl or wave; length of hair; effects on hair of previous chemical services, and;
- record the following details of the protein straightening service in the history for each client serviced: pre-service hair analysis; contraindications; desired degree of relaxation; products and processing times used; straightening methods used; degree of relaxation achieved; recommended home care products.
Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- key characteristics and interrelationships of the elements and principles of hair design and use in achieving hair straightening and relaxation effects;
- hair biology, at an elementary level of understanding;
- at an elementary level of understanding, the physical effects on hair structure and bonds, texture and curl or wave of: protein straightening and relaxing products; post-process conditioners; booster sprays; application of heat;
- key factors that influence degree of relaxation achieved: hair porosity; hair condition; degree of initial curl or wave; product type; processing time; environmental humidity; smoothing methods;
- contraindications to using protein hair straightening products;
- organisation's protein hair straightening products range;
- basic aspects of local government, state or territory health regulations applicable to providing hair reformation services, and;
- industry practices and organisational procedures.