Based in Melbourne, Ms Pretam Kaur has generously donated scholarships for Aboriginal and Afghan women studying for a higher education qualification at Victoria University, who are experiencing financial hardship.
The successful recipients will need to demonstrate how this scholarship may help them overcome an adverse situation and/or challenge to accessing further study.
About Pretam Kaur
Ms Pretam Kaur was born in Malaya where an English education was only considered for male students, and the community where Ms Kaur lived made it difficult for her parents to send her to an English learning school.
After a battle with the community, they managed to send her where they had hoped and supported her education even though the family was facing severe financial hardship. Ms Kuar later was able to attend University and further her education.
This scholarship is in memory of Ms Kaur’s parents, Santa Singh and Balwant Kaur. The love and devotion from her parents helped support her in obtaining the best education they could provide for their daughter.
My parents’ gift of education changed my life. The story of their courage and determination has defined me. The scholarships for Indigenous women come from my parents to you, colonised and impoverished as they were, to connect to the oldest culture, and join with your dreaming.”
Value & benefits
This scholarship is valued at a maximum amount of up to $20,000* and over no more than 3 years.
Scholarships will be paid in two instalments per year, subject to satisfactory academic progression.
* Each student’s final scholarship value will depend on the duration of your course at the time the scholarship is awarded.
To be eligible, you must:
- identify as an Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander or Afghan female
- be enrolled full-time in undergraduate or postgraduate coursework study at VU.
You'll need to provide documentation supporting your application, including your:
- CV (maximum 2 pages)
- personal statement (approximately 500 words)
Your personal statement must:
- demonstrate how this scholarship may help you overcome an adverse situation and/or challenge to accessing further study.
- articulate the reason(s) for selecting your chosen undergraduate or postgraduate course.
- clearly explain how being a recipient of a Santa Singh and Balwant Kaur Scholarship will assist you to achieve your career aspirations and development.
Assessment & selection
- Applications will be shortlisted by a representative of the VU Scholarships Office and Moondani Balluk.
- Recipients will be selected from the shortlist by a committee of representatives from
- VU Scholarships Office
- Moondani Balluk
- VU Advancement (only if required).