We offer a range of support for students who are in out-of-home care, or have left an out-of-home care arrangement.

If you are currently living in, transitioning out of or have previously lived in out-of-home care (including foster, residential, kinship and permanent), we are here to help you.

Our teams can assist you in your transition to Higher Education or TAFE and provide you with ongoing assistance to set you up for success.

Community development students on placement at Smith Family

Care leavers research project

Have you recently left out-of-home care and are attending or have attended Victoria University (VU)?

We would love you to be part of a research project that is gathering care leavers' experiences of support and study at VU. Participants are eligible for a $100 voucher.

Make a difference to the support offered by VU for those who have left out-of-home care.

Register your interest by filling out the online form. Or you can contact Dr Peter Gill:

Email: [email protected]
Phone: +61 3 9919 5641 or +61 403 107 369.

Scholarships & financial support

At Victoria University, we have a number of scholarships available to support students to get a head start.

While these options are not specific to care leavers, we encourage you to review the criteria and submit an application if you are eligible for any of these.

The Tertiary Access Payment (TAP) is a one-off, non-indexed, means tested payment of up to $5,000 to encourage and assist outer regional and remote students who need to relocate to access tertiary study immediately following school (Year 12 or equivalent).

Find out more about eligibility and how to apply.

Study level: TAFE, undergraduate
Study area: all
Eligibility: high school students, mature-age students, demonstrated financial hardship
Value: $1000 per year for up to two years (maximum of $2000)
How to apply: VU Access equity scholarship

Study level: all
Study area: all
Eligibility: high school students, current students, mature-age students, Indigenous background
Value: scholarship values vary slightly each year
How to apply: Indigenous Commonwealth scholarship

Our Student Advisors will be happy to assist you to submit your scholarship or payment application.

Please feel free to book an Advising for Success appointment where your friendly advisor will provide you with personalised advice and support.

Support services

We have a range of services you can use throughout your studies to assist you to reach your academic goals and make the most out of university life.

Get in touch

To find out more about the personalised support we can provide you, get in touch and we can direct you to the right service.