Through completion of this major you will have developed significant mastery of the field of Political Science. We will work with you to develop your research and analytical skills so that you can engage in social and political inquiry, and we will help you to build your powers of normative analysis. In short, we will help you to identify not only how politics works, but how it ought to work. While building such skills, students can enjoy engaging with topics such as globalisation, security and terrorism, contemporary protest movements and current debates on civil society and democratic theory.
Training in Politics and IR provides access to careers in foreign affairs, diplomacy, the media, the trade union movement and government and non-government sectors. Students can build on this Major by pursuing the practical experience available through our Internship programme with the Victorian Parliament.
- Dictatorship and Democracy
- Origins of International Politics
- Foundations of Political Science
- International Security
- The Politics of the United States of America
- Theory and Research in International Politics
- Students selecting this as Major 1 must choose:
- Graduating Project 1
- Graduating Project 2
- Students are required to complete only one pair of capstone units in their degree (either ACX3005 Graduating Project 1 & ACX3006 Graduating Project 2 or ACX3007 Studio Project 1 & ACX3008 Studio Project 2). Students should select the capstone units offered for their preferred major and then replace the capstone units in the second major with 2 Level three units from a related Discipline major.
Where to next?
If you are interested in this unit as part of a course, refer to our how to apply page to find out more about our application process.
If you are a current VU student, you may be able to enrol in this unitset as an elective.
- Contact your course coordinator to see if you are able to take the elective unit set.
You can also contact us directly:
- Ring us on +61 3 9919 6100
- Find answers and ask questions at GOTOVU
VU takes care to ensure the accuracy of this unit information, but reserves the right to change or withdraw courses offered at any time. Please check that unit information is current with the Student Contact Centre.