This unit describes the skills and knowledge to work safely in the solar industry. Specifically, the unit covers preparation, identification of work requirements, working safely at heights, including with fall protection and perimeter prevention equipment and handling relevant loads.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• communicating skills to record, report and share workplace information, including safety issues
• identifying hazards
• identifying asbestos containing materials
• interpreting Occupational Health and Safety (OHS)/Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) and environmental protection requirements
• contributing to the development of relevant safe work method statements (SWMS)
• working safely at heights
• working safely on roofs
• working with fall and perimeter protection equipment
• using personal protective equipment correctly
• applying manual handling procedures correctly
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by the VU Polytechnic and/or via the VU Polytechnic e-learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):