This unit involves the skills and knowledge required to source and purchase/order materials/parts for installation or service jobs.
It includes determining job specifications, using manufacturer catalogues, making purchasing enquiries, selecting appropriate materials/parts and completing relevant purchasing documentation.In this unit, the value of materials for small installation jobs is limited to $AUD20,000.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, incl the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
* applying at least two different methods to source materials
* applying relevant work health and safety (WHS)/occupational health and safety (OHS) requirements, including risk control measures
* dealing with unplanned events in accordance with workplace procurement procedures
* determining material and part availability and arranging supply
* determining relevant materials/parts to purchase
* determining scope of work and materials/parts procurement requirements from job specifications
* documenting materials/parts purchases
* obtaining approval to purchase in accordance with workplace procurement procedures
* sourcing, obtaining quotes and purchasing appropriate materials/parts in accordance with workplace procurement procedures.
The qualified trainer and assessor will advise students of class notes, reading materials produced by VU Polytechnic and further support via VU Polytechnic e-learning system and/or in person.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):