This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to respond to a client brief to design and apply make-up for specialised looks that use creative design and application of make-up.
It requires the ability to refine a brief with a client and then research, design, trial and apply a creative make-up.
This unit applies to make-up artists who work in make-up studios and as freelancers. In this environment they may work as part of a team or autonomously, but they make independent creative decisions. They have knowledge and skills of make-up products and specialised make-up application techniques.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce & extend knowledge and skill competence within set & controlled parameters in accordance with each unit’s learning outcomes & performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
• develop a portfolio of visual images that provide creative ideas for each of the following make-up designs:
• fashion or catwalk
• follow client briefs to design five creative make-up plans and then apply finalised make-up using three of the following themes:
• period or decade
• design and record make-up plans for each client above specifying details of:
• make-up theme or occasion
• areas requiring corrective make-up
• desired client image
• colour analysis and design
• contraindications to make-up services
• facial shape
• highlighting and shading
• products and application techniques
• skin types and conditions.
The qualified trainer and assessor will provide teaching and learning materials as required in the form of workbooks produced by VU Polytechnic and/or via the VU Polytechnic e-learning system.
This unit is studied as part of the following course(s):