Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- identifying and following relevant OHS/WHS procedures;
- recognising types of construction timber;
- selecting timber appropriate for design;
- interpreting and applying Australian Standard AS1170;
- calculating loads and stresses;
- preparing a timber structure design which meets the requirements of a project brief, and;
- working and communicating effectively with others team members.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- design principles and types for timber structure;
- timber classifications and specifications;
- Australian standard AS1720;
- commercial timber sizes;
- loads on structures;
- design of: beams, columns, connections, and;
- tension members.
Where to next?
VU takes care to ensure the accuracy of this unit information, but reserves the right to change or withdraw courses offered at any time. Please check that unit information is current with the Student Contact Centre.