Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- determining material strength requirements and selecting the appropriate test regime;
- seeking expect advice on test requirements where appropriate;
- performing strength tests in accordance with relevant OHS/WHS requirements and workplace procedures;
- discussing and dealing with unexpected situations in the testing process, and;
- recording test results in accordance with workplace procedure.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- stress and strain of engineering materials;
- centrally loaded connections;
- simple beams (point and distribute loads);
- classification of materials;
- properties of engineering materials;
- materials testing methods of engineering materials;
- engineering materials, and;
- effects of mechanical and thermal processes on the properties of materials.