Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- following work instructions, standard operating procedures;
- obtaining and interpreting data from specifications, drawings, job sheets or work instructions to establish required outcomes;
- determining the appropriate calculation method to suit the application;
- performing calculations using trigonometric ratios, sine and cosine rules, pythagoras theorem and geometric formulae;
- manipulating of formulae to change the subject, and;
- checking answers using estimations.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- formulae applicable to the determination of perimeter, area and volume of simple geometric shapes;
- the reasons for ensuring calculations are carried out using the same units of measurement;
- nomenclature used in trigonometry, pythagoras' theorem and geometry;
- mathematical principles and order of operations;
- techniques and procedures for rounding off figures when estimating approximate answers, and;
- applications of geometric calculations in manufacturing and engineering situations.