This unit describes the skills and knowledge to prepare to undertake entry level study at a tertiary level. It addresses the basic skills of tertiary study in analysis and critical thinking, research, and academic writing.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- effectively analyse questions;
- understand assessment requirements;
- reason from evidence;
- determine reliability of information;
- provide evidence to support ideas;
- take effective notes from lectures;
- ask and answer questions about topics;
- request clarification and advice from lecturers;
- conduct research and take effective notes;
- synthesise notes and paraphrase;
- analyse questions;
- construct written responses using conventions of academic writing;
- edit and proof read;
- integrate sources effectively;
- numeracy skills to inform tertiary writing;
- negotiate and manage academic activities;
- answer complex questions;
- determine purpose and audience;
- sort notes and ideas from sources;
- devise strategies to research and understand a topic;
- follow up resources;
- use models to support learning;
- meet presentation requirements in academic context;
- identify and evaluate problems in the study task;
- seek assistance/request feedback;
- select and apply strategies to develop independent learning skills;
- planning/organising skills to manage tasks, workload and deadlines;
- access library data bases;
- word process essays/reports;
- manage resources;
- format a reference list, and;
- use email to communicate with lecturers.
Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- strategies for time and task management to manage academic tasks;
- strategies to develop independent learning skills;
- sources of academic support to complete academic tasks;
- analysis of academic questions;
- academic texts - purpose, types and genre/discourse patterns for the relevant discipline;
- how to revise and edit text;
- commonly used referencing systems and their application to a range of academic sources, and;
- what constitutes plagiarism and the consequences of submitting plagiarised work.
Where to next?
VU takes care to ensure the accuracy of this unit information, but reserves the right to change or withdraw courses offered at any time. Please check that unit information is current with the Student Contact Centre.