This unit describes the skills and knowledge to undertake basic career planning activities. It focuses on identifying pathways to employment or further education and training through the preparation of an individual action plan.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- seek and respond to feedback on action plan;
- participate in interactions to determine and assess skills and clarify information collected;
- literacy skills to access, gather and interpret employment and training information and organize and document information in an action plan;
- numeracy skills to identify appropriate time frames for completion of activities in action plan;
- problem solving skills to identify and assess skills, match them to potential jobs and develop a personal action plan towards an employment pathway, and;
- self management skills to seek feedback and monitor and adjust action plan.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- purpose of a personal action plan in identifying career pathways;
- sources of information about jobs and education and training programs, and;
- difference between a personal action plan and a portfolio of skills.
Where to next?
VU takes care to ensure the accuracy of this unit information, but reserves the right to change or withdraw courses offered at any time. Please check that unit information is current with the Student Contact Centre.