This unit describes reading and writing performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required by adult learners of English as an additional language to read and write short, simple digital and/or print descriptive and narrative texts directly related to immediate personal and social needs.
Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills and knowledge:
- a limited range of simple content words, phrases and expressions relevant to immediate personal and social needs to read and compose short, simple descriptive and narrative texts;
- a limited range of simple familiar phrases and formulaic expressions used in descriptions and narratives;
- a limited range of simple adjectives and modifying devices;
- a limited number of simple adverbial phrases;
- a limited range of common high frequency tenses;
- a limited range of simple phrasal verbs;
- simple modals;
- simple connectives;
- the alphabet in upper and lower case;
- regular and irregular plural forms;
- structural features of short simple texts;
- simple question forms;
- reading skills to access simple bilingual dictionary and / or simple English dictionary to check unfamiliar words;
- appropriate register in writing according to the audience and the purpose of the text, and;
- writing conventions from left to right and top to bottom.
Where to next?
VU takes care to ensure the accuracy of this unit information, but reserves the right to change or withdraw courses offered at any time. Please check that unit information is current with the Student Contact Centre.