Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- critically read texts which have predictable structure and familiar vocabulary to make meaning;
- get the gist of texts which have more unfamiliar elements to interpret information;
- use a range of reading strategies to draw on bank of key vocabulary of personally relevant words/ phrases and use of word attack skills;
- make connections between own knowledge and experience and the purpose and structure of texts;
- follow non-linear digital texts to gain information;
- communication skills to discuss and convey information about key content in texts, and;
- technology skills to navigate screen based digital text to locate simple information.
Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- how basic punctuation impacts on meaning, and;
- reading strategies to engage with printed and digital texts.
Where to next?
VU takes care to ensure the accuracy of this unit information, but reserves the right to change or withdraw courses offered at any time. Please check that unit information is current with the Student Contact Centre.