This unit covers knowledge and skills to classify areas where flammable/combustible materials may exist. It requires the ability to gather and analyse data relative to explosion hazards, determine the extent of risk and establish and document zones.  This unit is directly equivalent to the Unit 2.16 Classify hazardous areas in the Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 4761.1 Competencies for working with electrical equipment for hazardous areas (EEHA) Part 1: Competency Standards. Equivalence includes endorsement in the explosion-protection techniques listed in the Range statement of this unit.

Unit details

Study level:
Vocational and further education (TAFE)
Unit code:


A student must have completed one of the following pre-requisites: UEENEEE071B Write specifications for electrical engineering projects; UEENEEE075B Write specifications for industrial electronics and control projects, or UEENEER002B Contribute to the conduct of a research project.


Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines. Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills and knowledge: - occupational health and safety responsibilities related to hazardous areas; - the roles of the parties involved in the safety of hazardous areas; - properties of combustible substances and their potential to create an explosive hazard; - the nature of hazardous areas; - the process of classifying hazardous areas; - the likelihood (zoning) or risk assessment method of an explosive hazard, and; - the extent of an explosive hazard and classifying an area accordingly.

Where to next?

VU takes care to ensure the accuracy of this unit information, but reserves the right to change or withdraw courses offered at any time. Please check that unit information is current with the Student Contact Centre.