This unit covers the termination of cables and cords and their conductors at accessories and current-using devices designed to operate at voltages up to 1,000 V a.c. or 1,500 V d.c. It encompasses working safely and to standards, understanding wiring system and cable types and applications, selecting appropriate termination accessories, preparing and terminating cables and cords, terminating cables/cord conductors and ensuring completed termination complies with requirements.

Unit details

Study level:
Vocational and further education (TAFE)
Unit code:


UEENEEE101A - Apply Occupational Health and Safety regulations, codes and practices in the workplace

UEENEEE102A - Fabricate, assemble and dismantle utilities industry components

UEENEEE105A - Fix and secure electrotechnology equipment

UEENEEE107A - Use drawings, diagrams, schedules, standards, codes and specifications


Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines. Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills and knowledge: - cable types and terminations; - cords, cables and plugs; - flat TPS wiring systems; - circular TPS wiring systems; - thermoplastic insulated cables in non-metallic enclosures; - thermoplastic insulated cables in metallic enclosures; - fire protection cabling and systems; - steel wire armoured (SWA) cables, and; - trailing cables and catenary systems.

Where to next?

As part of a course

This unit is studied as part of the following courses. Refer to the course page for information on how to apply for the course.

VU takes care to ensure the accuracy of this unit information, but reserves the right to change or withdraw courses offered at any time. Please check that unit information is current with the Student Contact Centre.