Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- source and document current industry information on the tourism and travel industry using at least three information sources listed in the knowledge evidence;
- source and interpret information on the following from the above sources and share with colleagues to improve knowledge of the tourism and travel industry: current and emerging products and services; current issues; career opportunities; relationships between other related industries; compliance issues and quality assurance; new products, technology, techniques and services; work ethic required to work in the industry, and;
- identify ways to integrate current tourism and travel industry information into daily work activities to: enhance the quality of work performance, and; conduct ethical practice within the travel and tourism industry.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- sources of industry information;
- structure, functions and key characteristics of the tourism and travel industry;
- roles and general responsibilities for different jobs, functions and the interrelationship of different sectors in the industry;
- general nature of allied and related industries;
- primary functions of: major cross-industry and sector-specific industry associations especially those with which the organisation has a relationship; trade unions in the industry; local, regional, state and national tourism information service and marketing organisations; tourism research bodies;
- basic aspects of tourism and travel industry quality assurance processes;
- basic aspects of state, territory and commonwealth laws specifically relevant to the tourism and travel industry and actions that must be adhered to by tourism organisations;
- for inbound tour operators and guides, basic aspects of and actions that must be adhered to by tourism organisations, and;
- current and emerging technology used in the tourism industry.