Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- produce or prepare as required each of the following hot and cold buffet foods: breakfast foods; meat or poultry; seafood; salads; pasta or noodles; breads; fruit or vegetables; cheese; smallgoods; dessert and pastry items; accompaniments; glazed foods, galantines and forcemeats; themed foods; foods selected to meet special dietary requirements;
- present, serve and replenish at least one buffet for each of the following: indoor venue; outdoor venue; breakfast; lunch or dinner; event or function;
- produce a quantity of buffet dishes and items for above buffets that: are consistent in quality, size, shape and appearance for each buffet service period; use appropriate garnish and presentation techniques, and;
- prepare above buffets: within commercial time constraints and deadlines; reflecting required quantities to be produced; following procedures for portion control and food safety practices when producing, displaying and serving hot and cold buffet food; using appropriate showpieces and decorations; responding to special customer requests and dietary requirements.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- culinary terms and trade names;
- suitable types of foods and dishes for buffets and their characteristics;
- presentation techniques for food items that comprise buffets;
- organisational standards for: serving buffet foods; portion sizing;
- mise en place and food safety requirements for producing and presenting foods for buffets;
- appropriate environmental conditions for storing ingredients and buffet food items to: ensure food safety; optimise shelf life, and;
- organisational food safety procedures for displaying and serving hot and cold buffet foods.