Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- safely and hygienically prepare food using each of the following fixed and hand-held commercial equipment: blenders; food processors; graters; sharpening steels and stones; butcher and boning; filleting; palette; mandolin slicers; measures; mouli; peelers, corers or slicers; planetary mixers; scales; thermometers; whisks: fine and coarse stainless steel wire;
- use food preparation equipment to prepare each of the following food types: fruit and vegetables; batters; coatings; condiments and flavourings; garnishes; oils; sauces and marinades; meat; poultry; seafood;
- make precision cuts on fruit and vegetables, and;
- complete food preparation tasks within commercial time constraints.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- meaning and role of mise en place in the process of preparing, cooking and presenting food;
- essential features and functions of, and safe operating practices and maintenance requirements for, the following equipment used in food preparation: blenders; food processors; graters; mixers; knife sharpening equipment; sharpening steels and stones; knives: butcher and boning; chef; filleting; palette; utility; vegetable; measures; peelers, corers, and slicers; scales; thermometers, and; whisks;
- food safety practices for handling different food types;
- cleaning practices and agents suitable to range of equipment in use;
- precision cuts used in a commercial kitchen: brunoise; chiffonnade; concasse; jardinière; julienne; macédoine; mirepoix, and; paysanne;
- safe operational practices using essential functions and features of equipment used to prepare: dairy products; dry goods, and; fruit;
- general food items: batters; coatings; condiments and flavourings; garnishes; oils; sauces and marinades; meat; poultry; seafood, and; vegetables, and;
- safe operational practices for maintenance and minor adjustments of equipment: adjusting blades, and; oiling machines.