Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- follow standard recipes to prepare dishes that demonstrate use of each of the following ingredients: dairy products; dry goods; eggs; fruit; general food items; meat that is culturally appropriate; poultry; rice and farinaceous items; seafood; vegetables;
- use at least eight of the following cookery methods and complete mise en place activities when preparing above dishes: baking; barbecuing; boiling; braising; deep-frying; grilling; oil and water blanching; roasting; shallow frying; steaming; stewing; stir-frying, and;
- prepare above dishes for at least six different customers.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- major food types and their characteristics;
- how the major food types are used in different Asian dishes and the effects of different cookery methods on them;
- essential culinary terms in, and key principles and practices of, the cookery methods described in the performance evidence;
- contents of stock date codes and rotation labels, and;
- safe operational practices using essential functions and features of equipment used in the above cookery methods.