Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- locates and applies applicable documentation, policies and procedures;
- implements the requirements, procedures and techniques for the safe, effective and efficient completion of manual excavation;
- works effectively with others to undertake and complete the manual excavation in a way that meets all of the required outcomes, and;
- demonstrates completion of manual excavation that safely, effectively and efficiently meets all required outcomes on more than one (1) occasion.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- organisation and site requirements and procedures for: using job safety analyses/safe work methods; achieving project quality outcomes, and; identifying and reporting on hazards related to the worksite and work activity;
- organisation of work activities;
- relevant tools and equipment safely;
- types, uses, limitations and maintenance requirements of manual excavation tools;
- basic principles of soil technology for civil works;
- basic trench collapse prevention techniques including benching and battering;
- site isolation and traffic control responsibilities and authorities;
- Civil construction terminology, and;
- housekeeping activities.