Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- preparing materials;
- performing brazing, braze welding, silver soldering;
- undertaking visual inspection;
- reading and interpreting routine information on written job instructions, specifications and standard operating procedures, and;
- following oral instructions.
Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- the reasons for selecting specific methods of assembly/alignment;
- the procedures for minimising distortion of the materials being brazed/braze welded/silver soldered;
- the procedures for assembling and setting up the specific heating equipment;
- the reasons for selecting specific heating equipment;
- the reasons for selecting specific consumables;
- conducting test runs;
- typical applications of brazing/braze welding and silver soldering processes;
- the procedures and precautions for preheating the materials to be joined;
- the effects of the use of inappropriate techniques on the performance of the jointed materials;
- the effect of inappropriate quantities of jointing material on the performance of the jointed materials;
- the procedures for normalising the temperature of jointed materials;
- the consequences of using inappropriate techniques to normalise the temperature of the joint;
- the procedures for removing excess jointing material;
- the procedures for inspecting brazed/braze welded/silver soldered joints;
- use and application of personal protective equipment for silver soldering and brazing/braze welding, and;
- safe work practices and procedures.