Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- write a simple, structured query language (SQL) statement to retrieve and sort data;
- write an SQL statement that selectively retrieves data, and;
- write SQL statements that: use functions and operators; use aggregation and filtering; retrieve data from multiple tables; write and execute SQL sub-queries; create and manipulate tables to meet specific requirements; create and use views that satisfy information requirements, and; create and use stored procedures.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- explain client-server concepts;
- explain data-integrity concepts;
- describe data-modelling structures;
- explain databases and database objects, including data types, data structures, identifiers and metadata;
- summarise programming concepts;
- give an overview of query design;
- give an overview of relational database design;
- describe the SQL client environment, and;
- describe the SQL server architecture.