This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to mix music that has been recorded live or in a studio. It involves balancing all instrumentals, vocals and recorded/imported sounds, and adding effects.

Unit details

Study level:
Vocational and further education (TAFE)
Unit code:


Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines. Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills: - mix a range of existing multi-track recordings to formats ready for mastering, in collaboration with colleagues and clients; - use the features of a range of industry current sound mixing software and equipment in line with industry standards; - balance instruments, vocals and recorded/imported sounds, and; - incorporate appropriate effects into the final mix.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge: - describe the main techniques and methods of mixing music; - outline mixing conventions for different music genres and explain techniques used to balance instruments and vocals; - list and describe effects that can be used to enhance a music mix; - briefly outline the operational principles for the available sound mixing software and equipment; - describe the issues and challenges that typically arise in the context of mixing music, and how to address them, and; - explain work health and safety considerations for mixing sound.

Where to next?

As part of a course

This unit is studied as part of the following courses. Refer to the course page for information on how to apply for the course.

VU takes care to ensure the accuracy of this unit information, but reserves the right to change or withdraw courses offered at any time. Please check that unit information is current with the Student Contact Centre.