Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each competency unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of project and work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- undertake research to inform design of special make-up effects;
- consider special requirements of performers and the need for prosthetic pieces when designing special make-up effects;
- develop designs for special make-up effects incorporating feedback and ideas from others, and meet production requirements;
- produce make-up plans that specify resources required and take account of budget constraints;
- apply and remove special make-up effects and prosthetics using appropriate products and application techniques;
- maintain the appearance of performers' special make-up effects during productions;
- create a documentary record of designs for special make-up effects;
- comply with health and hygiene requirements when providing make-up services;
- complete work within production schedules;
- work collaboratively with others in the development of special effects make-up designs, and;
- establish any specific make-up requirements from performers and clearly explain procedures for applying and removing special make-up effects.
Note: If a specific volume or frequency is not stated, then evidence must be provided at least once.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- outline roles and responsibilities of personnel who need to be consulted in relation to designing special make-up effects;
- identify typical problems with designing and applying special make-up effects and briefly describe solutions;
- explain safety, health and hygiene requirements for applying and removing make-up;
- outline effects of natural and artificial lighting on special make-up effects and how make-up colours appear on screen;
- explain how colour design principles are used in the context of designing special make-up effects;
- describe how and why skin can react to make-up products commonly used in screen and entertainment industry productions;
- explain how the use of special make-up effects can enhance characterisation;
- outline techniques for applying make-up to, and removing it from, prosthetic pieces, and;
- explain effects created by different make-up products and colour application techniques.