Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each competency unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of project and work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- discuss hair design requirements for productions with relevant personnel;
- research hairstyles to inform design process and make reference materials available to others;
- prepare hair designs that meet production requirements and take performers' hair and general appearance into account;
- provide hair services in line with production schedule using appropriate hair products and application techniques;
- re-create designs for all appearances during film shoots or performances during production runs;
- maintain performers' hairstyles during productions;
- create a documentary record of hair designs;
- comply with health and hygiene requirements when providing hair services, and;
- provide clear information to performers during hair styling sessions.
Note: If a specific volume or frequency is not stated, then evidence must be provided at least once.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- outline roles and responsibilities of personnel who need to be consulted in relation to designing and styling hair;
- identify typical problems with providing hairdressing services and briefly describe solutions;
- explain health, hygiene and safety requirements that apply to the provision of hairdressing services;
- describe the process for producing hair designs;
- explain how hair design can enhance characterisation;
- outline key features of period hairstyles;
- describe typical theatre salon procedures for creating period hairstyles;
- explain how physical appearance can influence the process of designing hairstyles, and;
- explain how skin tone can be affected by the way hair colour appears under lights.