Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- interpret objectives and requirements of packaging design project briefs;
- conceive and realise graphic design solutions that fulfil creative, technical, regulatory and budgetary requirements for product packaging;
- communicate and collaborate effectively with creative team in: concept development; design production and refinement; presentation and review; review final work for success in meeting creative, technical and client objectives, and;
- identify opportunities to further develop own skills.
Note: If a specific volume or frequency is not stated, then evidence must be provided at least once.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- identify key people involved in the packaging design process and their typical roles, responsibilities and relationships with the graphic designer;
- discuss different types of packaging design projects and the particular considerations that apply;
- describe ways in which consumers respond to packaging;
- summarise production factors for different types of packaging and explain how they impact on the design process;
- identify sources of ideas for packaging designs;
- describe ways visual impact is achieved in the context of packaging design;
- explain how critical and creative thinking techniques can be used as part of the design process;
- outline intellectual property issues and legislation in relation to designs for packaging;
- identify sustainability issues for product packaging and how they impact on graphic design, and;
- explain work health and safety legislation as it impacts on design for packaging.