Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- interpret objectives and requirements of advertising briefs;
- conceive and create print and electronic advertisements for use in a range of media that fulfil creative, technical and budgetary requirements;
- communicate and collaborate effectively with creative team in: concept development; design production and refinement; presentation and review; review final work for success in meeting creative, technical and client objectives, and;
- develop strategies to further develop own skills.
Note: If a specific volume or frequency is not stated, then evidence must be provided at least once.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- explain current trends and ideas in advertising design;
- identify key people involved in advertising, and outline their typical roles, responsibilities and relationships to the graphic designer;
- outline principles of consumer behaviour and influences on buyer behaviour;
- identify production factors for different types of advertising and explain how they impact on the design process;
- identify sources of ideas for visual concepts for advertising;
- describe ways aesthetic and creative aspects of advertising concepts convey the message/communication;
- explain how critical and creative thinking techniques can be used as part of the design process;
- explain intellectual property issues and legislation in relation to advertising;
- summarise legal and ethical requirements relating to the advertising industry, and;
- explain sustainability considerations related to messages in advertising and materials used in advertising and how they impact on graphic design.