Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- conceive, plan and realise graphic design solutions that meet the requirements of a range of complex briefs;
- apply creative and technical skills to concept development and refinement processes;
- manage all aspects of project planning, documentation, monitoring and communication;
- review success of final graphic design to meet communication objectives and project management requirements, and;
- collaborate effectively with relevant people throughout the project.
Note: If a specific volume or frequency is not stated, then evidence must be provided at least once.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- summarise roles and responsibilities of key people involved in the graphic design process and the typical communication protocols between those people;
- identify types of research that may be relevant to different projects or design challenges;
- describe ways in which designers use research and existing personal ideas to develop design solutions;
- discuss features of current and emerging technologies used in graphic design practice and the options they present for effective graphic design solutions;
- explain the effect of professional realities and constraints on the graphic design process;
- summarise graphic design project management methods and protocols, including documentation required to support projects;
- explain presentation options for communicating design concepts;
- explain how critical and creative thinking techniques can contribute to the design process, and;
- discuss intellectual property issues and legislation that impact on professional graphic design practice.