Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- assess historical and contemporary information about typography for relevance to graphic design practice;
- interpret and evaluate design requirements in briefs and other information sources;
- manipulate type with a high level of technical proficiency using graphics software programs;
- develop and present typographic concepts;
- integrate typography and other visual components into final design or layout;
- develop multiple pieces of professional standard typography that convey the visual communication objectives defined in client briefs, and;
- evaluate the effectiveness of typography solutions.
Note: If a specific volume or frequency is not stated, then evidence must be provided at least once.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- identify characteristics and styles of graphic design briefs, particularly in relation to typography requirements;
- identify sources of information on typography and the range of typography options available to the graphic designer;
- explain the fundamentals of typography production and application;
- describe the effective application of elements and principles of design to typography;
- outline the interrelationships between text and visuals and the role of typography in the overall design solution;
- identify current software programs available to graphic designers and explain their advanced features;
- explain opportunities and constraints of digital and manual typography techniques, and;
- identify different delivery platforms for graphic design work and the technical constraints and considerations these impose.