Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- must satisfy the requirements of the elements, performance criteria, foundation skills and range of conditions of this unit;
- must also remove three different stains from each of the following types of carpet: one natural fibre carpet; one synthetic fibre carpet, and;
- stain types to be removed during above work, must include three of the following: beverage, candle wax, chewing gum, food, grease, heavy dirt build-up, hospital waste, industrial and chemical waste, lipstick, nail polish, oil, plant stains, shoe polish and tar.
In doing the above work, the person must:
- identify site hazards and control risks before commencing the task;
- identify type and characteristics of each carpet and its carpet fibres;
- identify type of stain and cleaning techniques, cleaning equipment and chemicals required for the task, and;
- correctly and safely handle waste.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- carpet characteristics;
- characteristics of different carpet stains and process for cleaning them according to type, duration of stain, and whether previous treatments and chemicals have been applied;
- range and application of cleaning equipment and chemicals required to remove carpet stains;
- environmental requirements relating to removing stains from carpets;
- regulations, codes of practice and industry advisory standards relating to carpet cleaning, including AS/NZS 3733 textile floor coverings - cleaning maintenance of residential and commercial carpeting;
- processes for safely handling and disposing of waste, and;
- safe handling techniques for working with hazardous chemicals.