Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- must safely prepare the following surfaces each measuring at least one square metre, in readiness for application of signs: brick wall; gyprock wall; metal; plastic.
In doing the above work, the person must:
- use appropriate sanding and cleaning techniques for each surface;
- select, prepare and apply correct undercoat and primer for a painted surface;
- apply paint using each of following application methods: brush paint; roll paint; spray paint, and;
- identify and rectify defects in paint application.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- range of coating types and their characteristics;
- range of undercoats and primers and their application to different surfaces;
- purpose and application of the following when preparing surfaces for signs: manufacturer specifications relating to paint and other products used in surface preparation; safety data sheets (SDS); safe work method statements (SWMS);
- safety and environmental legislation, regulations and codes of practice applicable to working with paint and other products used in surface preparation, and;
- statutory and regulatory authority requirements.