Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
A person demonstrating competency in this unit must satisfy all of the elements, performance criteria and foundation skills of this unit. The person must process building applications for four different projects involving the following class 1 and 10 buildings or structures as defined in the Building Code of Australia (BCA):
- two types of class 1a buildings in different locations;
- one class 1b building, and;
- one class 10 building or structure: bushfire shelter, swimming pool or retaining wall.
In doing the above, the person must:
- identify relevant approving authority requirements for assessing and issuing building permissions and ensure adherence to relevant administrative processes;
- identify all codes, legislation and planning provisions applicable to the building application;
- gather relevant building application documentation, including drawings, for each building project and assess each application for compliance with relevant legislation, codes, regulations and local building authority requirements;
- analyse documentation supplied by at least one external consultant for each building application to ensure information is accurate and complete and to determine compliance of the building application;
- seek and obtain approval or consent from at least one service authority for each building approval application;
- identify and note areas of non-compliance and produce a range of alternative solutions for client consideration;
- document final building permission for each building approval, and;
- lodge final building approval.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- BCA classification and definitions for buildings included in classes 1 and 10;
- construction methods and materials suitable for buildings in classes 1 and 10;
- drawing symbols, notations, acronyms and construction terminology used in the National Construction Code (NCC), Australian standards, working drawings, and building design specifications;
- legislative and local planning and building requirements governing the issuing of building approval permits in the jurisdictions relevant to each building specified in the performance evidence, and;
- legislative roles and responsibilities of those issuing building permits in the relevant jurisdiction.