This unit describes the skills and knowledge required for education support workers to provide support to students who have to face a range of challenges that may limit their access to, participation in or outcomes from the curriculum. 

Unit details

Study level:
Vocational and further education (TAFE)
Unit code:


Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines. Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills: - contributed to the education team and participants in planning for students in need of additional support to achieve their full potential; - setting up and using adaptive technologies required by students; - adapting education resources to meet the needs of students with learning difficulties, and; - using professional language when working with teachers and other professionals.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge: - language, literacy and numeracy support strategies appropriate to the phase of learning; - appropriate support for a range of learning situations for students with various reasons for requiring additional assistance including physical, intellectual or learning disabilities, medical conditions, or emotional or psychological issues; - physical, emotional and social support that may be required by individual students, and; - individual education plans and behaviour management plans.

Where to next?

As part of a course

This unit is studied as part of the following courses. Refer to the course page for information on how to apply for the course.

VU takes care to ensure the accuracy of this unit information, but reserves the right to change or withdraw courses offered at any time. Please check that unit information is current with the Student Contact Centre.