Assessment tasks will be designed to reinforce and extend knowledge and skill competence within set and controlled parameters in accordance with each unit's learning outcomes and performance criteria requirements, including the setting of work based practical application tasks designed to provide evidence of competence outcomes, within periodic and scheduled timelines.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the following required skills:
- analyse information to ensure suitability to meet customer needs;
- apply knowledge of the organisation's reference, research and general collections;
- apply knowledge of types and scope of databases and other accessible reference tools;
- define, locate, analyse and evaluate information;
- demonstrate effective interviewing, communication and negotiation with customers about information needs;
- efficiently and effectively respond to complex and varied information requests;
- demonstrate effective search techniques using a range of print and electronic information sources and tools, and;
- demonstrate working within time constraints that reflect industry practice and standards.
Note: If a specific volume or frequency is not stated, then evidence must be provided at least once.Students will also be expected to demonstrate the following knowledge:
- describe scope and range of information sources available in print and electronic formats, including databases and technologies, such as current and emerging web applications;
- analyse various techniques for searching and retrieving information from a range of sources, including the internet and other electronic sources;
- compare and contrast strategies for obtaining information from external agencies or specialist organisations;
- describe a range of available delivery options for presentation of information resources;
- outline legal considerations relating to accessing information sources;
- define bibliographic standards;
- evaluate several reference sources and databases, both print and online, and;
- identify and describe protocols associated with culturally sensitive material, including Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander cultural material.