English language studies
Study with us to improve your English. Our range of English courses will help you:
- prepare to study a VU course
- prepare to sit an IELTS exam
- improve your general English.
You can receive additional English language support while you study with our Learning Support Services team.
On this page
Preparing to study a course
Our English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses are designed for students with advanced English who want to be admitted into an Australian certificate, diploma, bachelor, graduate or masters degree.
If you don't meet the English language requirements for entry into a VU course, you may receive a Conditional Letter of Offer with the expectation of completing a number of weeks of English language study in one of the following courses:
- EAP Intermediate: Basic academic English language skills
- EAP Upper Intermediate (Advanced): Prepare for entry into certificate and diploma courses
- Direct Entry Preparation - UPU (Undergraduate): Prepare for entry into a bachelor
- Direct Entry Preparation - UPP (Postgraduate): Prepare for entry into a graduate, masters of doctoral degree.
Find out more about our English preparation courses.
IELTS preparation courses are designed to help you prepare to sit an IELTS test. Available courses include:
- General IELTS preparation: If you want to gain an IELTS of 7.0 to develop work-related skills to gain relevant work experience in Australia.
- Academic IELTS preparation: If you want to improve your general level of English and become familiar with the IELTS format and improve your test-taking strategies.
General English study
We also offer a number of General English courses for industry and professionals seeking to improve their English skills.
We offer English courses for:
- overseas teachers
- health professionals
- sports professionals
- general business.
Contact VU English for more information about these general English courses.
English language support
All students will have English support available while they study. Our Language & Learning team provide study support in English (and general study skills) while you study.
Language & Learning lecturers give study skills workshops throughout the semester on a variety of academic skills topics as well as individual learning support.