Excellence in Research for Australia
VU performed highly in the 2015 ERA assessment. Many of our research focus areas achieved a ranking of world-standard and above.
We received the highest rating of 5 (well above world standard) in:
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (FoR 0906)
- Human Movement and Sports Science (FoR 1106)
- Nursing (FoR 1110).
A rating of 4 (above world standard) in:
- Mathematical Sciences (FoR 01)
- Applied Mathematics (FoR 0102)
- Engineering (FoR 09)
- Mechanical Engineering (FoR 0913).
A rating of 3 (world standard) in:
- Artificial Intelligence and Image Processing (FoR 0801)
- Distributed Computing (FoR 0805)
- Information Systems (FoR 0806)
- Education (FoR 13)
- Specialist Studies in Education (FoR 1303)
- Tourism (FoR 1506)
- Language Communication and Culture (FoR 20)
- Cultural Studies (FoR 2002).
Read more about our research focus areas and expertise.
Our researchersVU's Professor Peter Sheehan and Professor Bruce Rasmussen have led research into modelling of the benefit cost ratios of investment in poorer countries.
The collaborative research led by Karin Stenberg at the World Health Organization (WHO) with the Victoria Institute for Strategic Economic Studies (VISES) calculated the social and economic returns from investment in women’s and children’s health.
The study highlighted how targeted investment in maternal and newborn health, child health, immunisation, family planning, HIV/AIDS and malaria in those countries could have massive impact.
Read about our researchers in the Research Highlights magazine.