The Victoria University Central Research Grants Scheme (CRGS) supports:
- Victoria University (VU) early career researchers (ECRs) who require seed funding for innovative research to pursue objectives that will form the foundation for a project, for which substantial external research support will be sought. This year, NHMRC related projects are strongly encouraged.
- New projects with Industry Partners from VU researchers at all levels of experience. There is a strong preference for collaborative projects with Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs; businesses with fewer than 200 employees).
- For 2016, the total budget amount for this scheme will be up to $450,000. Up-to 50% of the funding pool will be dedicated to Projects with Industry Partners.
- The scheme is administered by the Office for Research in conjunction with the University’s Colleges/Institutes/Centres.
The objectives of the Central Research Grants Scheme (CRGS) are to:
- support ECRs to undertake pilot projects which have clear potential to form the basis of a larger study, for which external research funding will be applied for within 12 months after the end of the pilot study;
- encourage collaborative research in a team with the guidance of an experienced researcher for ECR applicants;
- encourage research collaborations with Industry with the aim of applying for an ARC Linkage Project after the CRGS project is completed.
- encourage novel collaborative and interdisciplinary approaches to applied and basic research problems;
- fund projects with demonstrable and innovative research outcomes;
- fund projects that are aligned with and contribute significantly to the advancement of knowledge in one or more of the University’s areas of research focus.
CRGS funding overview
- Grants will be awarded to a maximum value of $30,000 (plus where applicable, the 30% Industry Partner cash contribution). Grants below $8,000 will not be awarded. Only exceptional applications with clear justified budgets will receive funding at the upper end of the range.
- Funding must be for a specific research project with aims that are clearly achievable within one calendar year.
- For studies involving an Industry Partner, at least one Industry Partner must meet the eligibility requirements of ‘Partner Organisation’ as stated in the ARC Linkage Project Funding Rules, and the combined Industry Partner(s) Cash Contribution must be at least 30% per cent of the total funding requested from the CRGS scheme.
- Victoria University must receive the funding provided by the Industry Partner and this funding must be expended from a VU research account fund 60.
Central Research Grant Scheme (CRGS) funding round for 2016 is now open.
The CRGS online application form is now available. The closing date for applications is 4pm, Monday 31 August, 2015.
For more information regarding the CRGS guidelines and/or application form, please contact Zana Stefanovski.
Phone: +61 3 9919 4710
Your College Research Facilitation and Development Manager can provide direct assistance with all proposals that have an Industry Partner.
For further information about the ARC Linkage Project scheme, please read the current ARC Linkage Project Funding Rules at , if you have further questions about the scheme, contact Palmina Fichera at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 9919 4707.