- “great and have already followed up on all companies. (I) have 5 interviews already and hopefully more. Holden called me already for an interview. I feel very positive… we got a lot out of the day.” (Laura),
- “very good and have leads and now positive about potential … employers were talking to everyone. It made me feel I have a chance now. Friends got a lot also.” (Morris)
- “useful and relevant and have initiated a lot of leads to apply for coop employment. Met other Russian students and made new friends with similar backgrounds.” (Constantine)
- Specifically re-GM Holden positions: “they made it really easy to apply.” (Milos, Ercan, Bobby and Constantine).
Exhibiting organisation numbers were down on 2008 as many firms who had regularly attended similar events in prior years, (eg Ernst & Young), were unable to confirm Co-op or Vacation positions for 2010 or had limited resources to commit to the Expo in the current economic climate.
Remarkably however, student attendance increased by 25%. Centre Manager, Barry Broons, attributed this to the re-location of the event to Footscray Park Campus and the concentration on a single specialisation/discipline for the first time.
As in recent years, the Expo was advertised widely and via a range of traditional communication channels, including in-class announcements, Victoria University’s events’ website, posters and fliers, and via “new media” such as Facebook and SMS messages.
Accounting Work Integrated Learning Student of the Year, Andrea Tori gave an excellent speech to conclude the event, remarking:
“It was an absolute pleasure to come along today and share some wisdom. Thank you for the opportunity.
Also, thank you to the Work Integrated Learning team for allowing students to participate in such an amazing opportunity to broaden our careers. It has certainly changed my future.”
For further details, please contact:
- Barry Broons
- Manager, Centre for Work Integrated Learning
- Phone: +61 3 9919 4546
- Email: email@example.com