Are you uncomfortable in your chair? Do you want to have a say in the selection of your classroom and laboratory chairs? Are you interested in Occupational Health and Safety, especially ergonomics?
Victoria University is reviewing its chair tender and we want you to be involved. There are three ways you can be involved:
- Become a member of the Tender Team, selection of the chair supplier. One student will be chosen to participate in the Tender process as part of the Tender Team. This student will be involved in all aspects of the tender process including, but not limited to:
- Developing the Tender document
- Evaluating the Tender submissions
- Evaluating the chairs submitted for the Tender
- Potentially attending the Suppliers' workplaces/factories to evaluate their ability to supply
- Final selection of the suppliers
- Creation of the supporting documentation recommending suppliers for approval of the Tender Board and ultimately the Vice Chancellor
- Attending the Tender Board meeting to support our recommendation
- Assist with supply arrangements and contract completion
- Assist with development of promotional materials and communication regarding the new chair supply arrangement
Being a member of the Tender Team will involve approximately one day per week until the Tender is completed. Ideally the tender panel selection will be completed by the end of December and then the promotion and communication would occur during the first half of 2011.
Initially it may be less than one day, but during evaluation of the tenders and the chairs it may be more than one day per week. You must be available for meetings on Mondays and Tuesdays at Footscray Park during business hours (meeting times will be flexible on these days).
If you have further questions and/or are interested in applying for this volunteer position, you can view the job description on the Student Careers website. Download the form attached to the description, complete it and e-mail it to Lynn Ferguson (Tender Manager).
2. Closing date for these forms to be returned is 9:00am Monday 20 September 2010 so don't delay in applying to participate in this fantastic learning experience.
E-mail your feedback. Send an e-mail to Lynn Ferguson, and tell her what you think of the current classroom and laboratory (including computer lab) chairs that you sit on and how they could be improved
3. Be involved in the evaluation of the chairs. This would involve attending a location (most likely Footscray Park Campus) at a specified date and time to be determined and evaluating each relevant chair using a checklist provided. This evaluation would probably take 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on the number of chairs to be evaluated. If you are interested, please send Lynn Ferguson an e-mail expressing your interest.
When more specifics regarding date, time, location and expected duration are known, you will be sent an e-mail with those details and you can then decide if you want to commit to participate.