Interested in improving your fitness? ISEAL are currently recruiting men and women for a research study into exercise and birth weight. If you are between 18 and 40 years old and know your birth weight, ISEAL would like to hear from you.
The study investigates if exercise is equally effective in normalising blood glucose levels in adults born with low birth weight compared with normal birth weight adults.
As a participant in this study you will be asked to:
- exercise within your home using a bike (provided)
- perform an aerobic capacity test (VO2 max) and body composition test (DXA scan)
- undergo insertion of cannula (thin flexible plastic tubing) in each arm to measure insulin secretion and sensitivity in blood samples
- undergo four muscle biopsies
Volunteers will be reimbursed for their time and travel expenses and also informed about their results.
To be eligible to participate in this study volunteers must be:
- 18-40 years old
- have a birth weight record
- no family history of diabetes or heart disease
- not be pregnant if female