The Australian Awards for University Teaching (AAUT) were established in 1997 by the Australian Government to celebrate and reward excellence in university teaching. Since then, with an honour roll that includes many highly respected and celebrated members of the sector, the Australian Awards for University Teaching have become a valued form of recognition for university educators Australia wide.
About the awards
The Australian Awards for University Teaching recognise the impact that educators have on the learning and teaching experiences and outcomes of university students. They celebrate and reward programs practices that support students and enhance learning.
They promote excellence in learning and teaching in all aspects of higher education. Recipients, with the support of their institutions, contribute to systemic change in learning and teaching through the ongoing sharing and dissemination of knowledge. This year, there are four award types promoting and recognising excellence in learning and teaching.
There are four award recognising excellence and outstanding contributions to student learning:
- Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning
- Awards for Programs that Enhance Learning
- Awards for Teaching Excellence
- Award for Australian University Teacher of the Year.
For more information on awards and to download the up-to-date information packs for each of the awards categories, visit the Universities Australia website.
2020 AAUT key dates
- Monday 6 July: deadline for expression of interest (email [email protected])
- Monday 13 July: feedback on expression of interest
- Monday 24 August: full submissions due for internal review
- Monday 2 September: panel review meeting
- Friday 4 September: panel feedback to applicants
- Friday 18 September: final submissions due for endorsement by panel and DVC (A&S)
- Notification of Outcome: January 2021
2020 AAUT information packs
For instructions on how to submit your nomination, please download the relevant information pack:
- Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning information pack (Citations)
- Awards for Programs that Enhance Learning information pack (Program Awards)
- Awards for Teaching Excellence information pack (Teaching Awards)
- Quick Reference Guide (PDF, 351 KB).
Support for award programs for VU staff
For more information regarding application support, please email [email protected].
Award Mentors for 2020 Applicants
The AAUTN Award Mentor Scheme draws on the skills and experience of Australian Teaching Award winners who have volunteered to act as mentors for future awards applicants.
Mentors can provide advice and support for aspiring award applicants on the development of their award applications. This may take the form of:
- providing advice on the most suitable award type based on career stage and experience (Citation, Award for Teaching Excellence etc.).
- providing guidance on structuring a narrative around the mentee’s teaching experience
- providing advice on what teaching and education activities are worth focusing on
- providing feedback on mentee’s written application.
The VU awards panel is responsible for endorsing citations for submission. No applications may be submitted outside of this process.
Awards resources for VU staff
The following resources provide a guide for developing an award application:
- 2019 assessors tips on writing a successful application (PDF, 239 KB)
- guide to writing an awards application (PDF, 275 KB)
- guide to compiling student feedback data for learning and teaching award applications (PDF, 466 KB)
- evidence checklist for teaching awards (PDF, 75 KB)
- other resources for nominees can be found on the Australian Universities website.
These links are accessible to VU staff only, and require login when offsite: