We offer two mentoring programs to help our students prepare for work:
- Our Career Mentoring Program matches students (mentees) with an industry professional (mentors) to assist in preparation for life after graduation. It focuses on industry connections in banking, finance and IT.
- Our job-ready program, Talent Connect helps final-year students in all disciplines prepare for work with career workshops and mentoring.
To be eligible, you must be in your final or penultimate year, with a genuine interest in the IT industry (IBM Program), or be studying an Accounting or Banking and Finance related course (NAB Program).
For our Talent Connect program you must be an undergraduate student in your final year, available to meet with mentors in Melbourne for the first six months after graduation while you look for work.
How it works
Each student (mentee) attends an induction session, and will then be matched to a mentor (one-on-one).
There are 4-6 meetings over a maximum of 12 weeks - negotiate your own meeting times with the mentor, at a mutually agreed location and time (usually in CBD).
Ongoing support will be available from Career Development & Employment for all participants, as well as a comprehensive Program Instruction Manual.
Mentoring in our Talent Connect program commences around May and November each year for a period of 6 months, as you begin your transition into the workforce.
You'll spend at least one hour per month with your mentor in meetings, job shadowing or online.
Why participate in the programs?
Participation in VU's mentoring programs allows you to:
- discover what employers are looking for in new employees/graduates
- explore options for work experience, site visits and job shadowing
- develop professional networks in your chosen discipline
- raise your awareness of career paths/job options for graduates in your discipline/course
- practice interview skills
- develop resumes relevant to your desired industry/job
- gain knowledge of work/industry expectations and culture.
Awards for VU’s Mentoring Programs
- Winner - 2011 Pro-Vice Chancellor's Award for Best Individual Initiative
- Winner - 2012 Victorian Training, Education & Development Award - Industry Association
- Winner - 2012 National Award Supply Chain and Logistics Australia
- Winner - 2013 Vice-Chancellor's Citation for Excellence in Learning & Teaching
- Winner - 2013 Excellence in International Education - Student Employability and Careers (Victorian Government)
For information about the Career Mentoring program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information about Talent Connect's job-ready program, please email email@example.com.