Types of incident and how to respond to them
VU has a Student critical incident protocol to help you deal with a student crisis on campus.
The required response followed will depend upon the nature of the incident.
A: Mental health critical incident
- If the student is violent or armed phone VU Security Emergency number: +61 3 9919 666.
- If student is not violent or armed phone during business hours:
- Senior Counsellor on +61 425 757 310
- General Manager, Student Wellbeing on +61 438 794 675.
- If student is not violent or armed phone after hours, the Psychiatric Triage Services:
- Sunshine, Melton, St Albans, City Flinders, City Queen, City King: 1300 874 243
- Footscray Park, Footscray Nicholson and Werribee: 1300 657 259.
B: Problem behaviour critical incident
- If there is immediate risk of harm call VU Security: +61 3 9919 6666.
- If there is no immediate risk of harm refer to Safer Community on +61 3 9919 5707 or email@example.com.
C: Student misconduct
- Discuss with College Director of Teaching and Learning & Managers.
- Consider invoking actions under Student Misconduct Regulations and Procedure.
- Contact Student Matters office: +61 3 9919 5007.
D: Emergency where there is an immediate threat to safety and security of people and property
- Call VU Security Emergency: +61 3 9919 6666.
- Call Emergency Services: 000.
- Follow VU Emergency Procedures.