With a background on chemical engineering, Dr Xing Yang has been actively involved in membrane technology, wastewater treatment and desalination research in China and Southeast Asia.
Xing received her PhD in civil and environmental engineering from Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. From 2012 she was a Research Fellow at Singapore Membrane Technology Centre (SMTC) prior to joining ISI. Major areas of her research include:
- membrane applications on liquid/gas and liquid/liquid membrane contactors
- high concentration membrane distillation (MD) applications for zero discharge and solute recovery
- organic and inorganic membrane applications for volatile compound removal and recovery
- process simulations of pilot-scale membrane systems for energy and cost evaluation
- membrane module design and CFD fluid dynamics modeling
- two-phase flow intensification and membrane scaling control associated with crystallization kinetics studies
- membrane characterization and surface modification
- non-invasive flow analysis using NMR.
Refereed journal articles
X Yang, T Fraser, D Myat, S Smart, JH Zhang, JD Da Costa, M Duke, A Pervaporation study of ammonia solutions using molecular sieve silica membranes, Membrane (2014), accepted.
GQ. Guan, X. Yang, R. Wang, R. Field, A G. Fane, Evaluation of hollow fibre-based direct contact membrane distillation and vacuum membrane distillation systems using Aspen process simulation, Journal of Membrane Science (2014), in press.
X Yang, E. O Fridjonsson, M L. Johns, R Wang, A G. Fane, A non-invasive study of flow dynamics in MD hollow fibre modules using low-field nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) imaging, Journal of Membrane Science, 451 (2013), 46-54.
X. Yang, H. Yu, R. Wang, A G. Fane, Analysis on the effect of turbulence promoters in hollow fibre membrane distillation module via computational fluid dynamic (CFD) simulations, Journal of Membrane of Science, 415–416 (2012), 758-769.
X. Yang, R. Wang, A G. Fane, Novel designs for improving the performance of hollow fibre membrane distillation modules, Journal of Membrane of Science, 384 (1-2) (2011) 52-62.
X. Yang,A G. Fane and R. Wang, Membrane distillation: now and future, in “Desalination: Water from Water”, Scrivener/Wiley (2013), 373-424.
X. Yang (2012) “Membrane distillation: hollow fibre module design and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) modelling”, presented at Northern American Membrane Society (NAMS) conference, New Orleans, USA.
- International Desalination Association (IDA)
- Membrane Society of Australasia (MSA)
- North American Membrane Society (NAMS)
- Process Engineer, Bayer (Shanghai, China), 2007-2008
- Water Ambassador/Liaison Officer, PUB, Singapore International Water Week (SIWW), 2012
- Asia Pacific regional coordinator, International Desalination Association (IDA) Young Leaders Program (YLP), 2013-Present
Areas of expertise
- Aspen process simulation and CFD flow modelling
- Chemical engineering
- Heat and mass transfer
- Organic and inorganic membrane applications
- Water and wastewater treatment