One of five Council appointed members of the University Council.
Mr George Pappas AO retired from his position as Chancellor at the end of 2019. Council appointed Deputy Chancellors Wayne Kayler-Thomson and Gaye Hamilton to take up the role of Chancellor throughout 2020 to ensure a seamless transition. Wayne was Chancellor from January to June, 2020, followed by Gaye from July to December, 2020. In January 2021, The Honourable Steve Bracks AC will step into the position as the sixth Chancellor of Victoria University.
Wayne is an Adjunct Professor in the VU Business School.
A company director and business advisor, Wayne specialises in strategic business planning and tourism destination development. Wayne is Deputy Chairman and Director of VicSuper Pty Ltd., Chairman of Great Ocean Road Regional Tourism Ltd and Board member of Great South Coast Regional Partnership.
Previously Wayne was:
- the Chief Executive of the Victorian Employers Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VECCI)
- Deputy Chief Executive Officer of Tourism Victoria
- a Regional Economic Development executive
- owner/operator of a tourism business
- a senior executive in the manufacturing industry
- Deputy Chairman of Victoria Tourism Industry Council.