Dr Sherif Mostafa
Program Director and Lecturer, College of Engineering & Science
Dr Sherif Mostafa is the Program Director of the Bachelor of Construction Management (Honours) course. He completed his PhD in Construction Management at the University of South Australia, after graduating with a BSc (Mechanical Engineering) and an MSc (Industrial Engineering) from Mansoura University.
Sherif is an experienced ‘pracademic’ with over 10 years of industry experience in delivering engineering projects. He has worked in positions including consulting engineer, and project and planning engineer in the areas of residential and commercial buildings, asset maintenance and project management.
Sherif is a certified professional engineer with the Institution of Engineers Australia and the Institution of Engineering and Technology (UK). Before commencing at Victoria University, Sherif worked for the University of South Australia (Adelaide) and Torrens University Australia (Sydney), where he contributed to the coordination, research and teaching of units in construction and project management, and engineering management.
Through his volunteer roles with the Project Management Institute (PMI) (Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne Chapters) and PrefabAUS in Melbourne and Adelaide, Sherif makes a significant contribution to the construction and project management professions.
Completions: 2 PhD students, 19 masters students, 14 honours students' projects.
Current supervision: 1 PhD (co-supervisor), 2 honours research projects.
- New Colombo Program ($216,480); Melbourne Pioneers, 2018 – 2020. The consortium comprises The University of Melbourne, Swinburne University of Technology, Federation University Australia, Victoria University as well as Hitachi as the industry partner.
- Advanced Industrialised and Prefabricated Construction: An Approach to Building Future Economies, ($90,000), University of South Australia and Australian Portable Camps Collaboration Joint Research Scheme, 2015–2016.
- Synergistic leagile supply chain for Australian prefabricated housed building ($200,000), Postgraduate Research Project Fund from the Australian Government 2012–2015.
Refereed journal articles
Mostafa, S., Chileshe, N. (2017). Application of Discrete-event Simulation to Investigate Effects of Client Order Behaviour on Off-site Manufacturing Performance in Australia, Architectural Engineering and Design Management (AEDM).
Mostafa, S., Chileshe, N. and Abdelhamid, T. (2016). Lean and agile principles within offsite manufacturing: a systematic literature review., Construction Innovation: Information Process Management, 6(4), 483–525.
Mostafa, S., Abdelhamid, T., Dumrak, J., and Chileshe, N., (2015). Decision support model using ANP to align leagile strategies to off-site manufacturing in Australia, International Journal of Analytic Hierarchy Process, 7(3), 374-404.
Mostafa, S., Dumrak, J. and Soltan, H. (2013). A framework for lean manufacturing implementation, Production and Manufacturing Research Journal, Taylor & Francis, 1(1), 44–64.
Dumrak, J.,Mostafa, S., Kamardeen, I. and Rameezdeen, R. (2013). Factors associated with the severity of construction accidents: The case of South Australia, Australasian Journal of Construction Economics and Building, 13(4), 32–49.
Mostafa, S., Chileshe, N. and Zuo, J. (2015). Opportunities of Building Information Modelling in Australian Offsite Manufacturing, In: L. Shen, K. Ye & C. Mao (eds), Proceedings of the 19th International Symposium on Advancement of Construction Management and Real Estate. pp. 1075–1089: Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
Mostafa, S., and Dumrak, J. (2016). A Waste Elimination Process: An Approach for Lean Sustainable Technologies, In Khan et al (eds), Green Supply Chain Management for Sustainable Business Practice, IGI– Publishers.
Elmualim, A., Mostafa, S., Chileshe, N., Rameezdeen, R., (In Press) Construction and the Circular Economy: Smart and Industrialised Prefabrication. In: Saint, C., Chen, T. and Rocker, R. (eds). Unmaking Waste in Production: Towards the Circular Economy. Emerald Insight.
Wislon, J. and Mostafa, S. (2016). Lean Construction Framework for Commercial Modular Buildings: Achieving The Benefits Within Australian Context, International Conference on Innovative Production and Construction (IPC 2016) 3-5 October 2016, Perth, Australia.
Mostafa, S., and Chileshe, N. (2015). Discrete–Event Simulation Model for Offsite Manufacturing in Australia. In: Raiden, A.B and Aboagye-Nimo, E. (eds), Proceedings of the 31st Annual Conference of ARCOM, 7-9 September 2015, Lincoln, UK, pp. 1043-1052.
Mostafa, S., Dumrak, J., Chileshe, N., and Zuo, J. (2014). Offsite Manufacturing in Developing Countries: Current Situation and Opportunities. Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Engineering, Project, and Production Management, 26–28 November 2014, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
Mostafa, S., Chileshe, N., and Zuo, J. (2014). A Synergistic Supply Chain Enhancing Offsite Manufacturing Uptake in Australian House Building. Proceedings of the 30th Annual Conference of ARCOM, 1–3 September, Portsmouth, UK.
Mostafa, S., Chileshe, N., and Zuo, J. (2014). Enhancing Australian Housing Affordability: Off–Site Manufacturing Supply Chain Strategies. In: Kalsaas, B. T., Koskela, L. & Saurin, A., (eds). Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Conference of the International Group for Lean Construction (IGLC), June 25th – 27th Oslo, Norway, IGLC and Akademika forlag, 1069–1082.
Sherif is a member of the following organisations:
- Engineers Australia
- Australian Institute of Building
- Project Management Institute
- Engineering, Project and Production Management Association
- Lean Construction Institute Australia
- BuildingSmart Australasia
- Institution of Engineering and Technology, UK.
- Project Management Consultant, SAE-Australasia and PMI Melbourne, Australia
- Consulting Director, CPM Innovative Solutions, Melbourne, Australia
- Communications Manager, Project Management Institute, Adelaide, Australia
- Project Engineer, Centre of Engineering Consultations, Egypt
- Consulting Engineer, ARAC Consulting Ltd, Egypt
- Supply Chain and Procurement Controller, Egyptian Defence, Egypt
- Planning Engineer, Al-Babtain Egypt, Egypt
Areas of expertise
- Dynamic simulation of engineering systems interdependencies
- Advanced technologies in offsite construction
- Lean-Six-Sigma and BIM integration within prefabricated buildings
- Circular economy and agile concepts applications in AEC
- Project and engineering management
- Multi-criteria decision making of engineering and construction systems.