Murray is a practising lawyer and currently teaches the Graduate Certificate in Australian Migration Law and Practice at Victoria University.
He was formerly:
- Senior Magistrate
- Chair of Police Discipline Board (Victoria)
- Principal Member (Ag) and Member Administrator of the Refugee Review Tribunal
- Panel Chair, Financial Ombudsman Service
- Member, Social Security Appeals Tribunal
- Chair, Metropolitan Fire Brigades Appeal Tribunal
- Chair, Country Fire Authority Appeal Tribunal
- Chair, Disciplinary Appeals Board, Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.
Fernandez, R., Gerkens, M., Yau, D., Ozyurek, S., 2017, Australian Migration Legislation Collection, LexisNexis Butterworths, January
Gerkens, M., Fernandez, R., Yau, D., Ozyurek, S., Kenny, J., 2017, Australian Immigration Companion, LexisNexis Butterworths, 6th edition
Gerkens & Cleeve, Food Legislation – Victoria, The Law Book Company Ltd, 1990-97.
Gerkens, Adams & Street, The Health Act – Victoria, The Law Book Company Ltd, 1983
Storey QC, Harper QC, Zichy-Woinarski QC & Gerkens, Paul’s Summary and Traffic Offences, The Law Book Company Ltd, 1982
From Graduate Certificate in Australian Migration Law and Practice:
- LML5000 Australian Migration Law
- BLO5606 Australia's Visa System
- BLO5607 Visa Compliance, Cancellation and Review
- LML5001 Applied Migration Law.
From Masters of Law (Applied Migration Law):
- LML7001 Current Issues in Migration Law and Practice
- LML7003 Comparative Migration Law (NZ course)
- LML7004 Advanced Australian Migration Law
- LML7005 Advanced Review Considerations in Migration Law
- LML7006 Practice Ready Program
- LML7007 Refugee Law.
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Life Member & Founding Member, Windana Society (Alcohol & Drug Rehabilitation).
- Former Director/Secretary, Victorian Association for the Care & Resettlement of Offenders (VACRO)
Many years experience in the practice of the law; both as Magistrate and Counsel including successfully arguing among other cases:
- Minister for Immigration & Multicultural Affairs v Singh  209 CLR 533 [High Court of Australia]
- Paramananthan v MIMA; MIMA v Sivarasa  160 ALR 24 [Full Federal Court]
- Sook Rye Son v MIMA  161 ALR 612 [Full Federal Court].
Areas of expertise
- Corporate and commercial law
- criminal law
- Immigration law
- Refugee law