Dr Giovanni Zurzolo gained his bachelor of biomedical science from Victoria University. He then did a year of honours with the University, based at Murdoch Childrens Research Institute (MCRI). During his honours year he investigated the prevalence of sesame allergy. Giovanni then went on to examine the benefit of precautionary food labels to complete his PhD.
Giovanni is currently a postdoctoral fellow at Victoria University with the following main aims:
- To examine the proportion of unlabelled products that have used VITAL or a similar risk assessment tool versus those that have not, using an industry questionnaire
- To examine the allergen content of unlabelled products to assess the safety of food products based on the use of a risk assessment tool such as VITAL, using ELISA-based allergen detection
- To understand factors that influence industry uptake of VITAL using an industry questionnaire
- To assess the number of episodes of anaphylaxis that occur each year due to the ingestion of products without mandated allergen warning labelling, using the Australian Paediatric Surveillance Unit’s Australia-wide monthly questionnaire system.
Refereed journal articles
Zurzolo, G. A., De Courten, M., Koplin, J., Mathai, M. L. and Allen, K. J. (2016) Is advising food allergic patients to avoid food with precautionary allergen labelling out of date? Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 16(3), 272-277.
Zurzolo, G. A., Koplin, J. J., Ponsonby, A. L., McWilliam, V., Dharmage, S., Heine, R. G., Tang, M. L., Prescott, S., Campbell, D. E., Loh, R., Rueter, K., Netting, M., Frith, K., Norton, W., Said, M., Gold, M., Lee, N. A., Mathai, M., de Courten, M. and Allen, K. J. (2016) Consensus of stakeholders on precautionary allergen labelling: A report from the Centre for Food and Allergy Research. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health.
Zurzolo, G. A., Koplin, J. J., Mathai, M. L., Taylor, S. L., Tey, D. and Allen, K. J. (2013) Foods with precautionary allergen labeling in Australia rarely contain detectable allergen. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology: In Practice. 1(4), 401-403.
Zurzolo, G. A., Koplin, J. J., Mathai, M. L., Tang, M. K. L. and Allen, K. J. (2013) Perceptions of precautionary labelling among parents of children with food allergy and anaphylaxis. Medical Journal of Australia. 198(11), 621-623.
Zurzolo, G. A., Allen, K. J., Taylor, S. L., Shreffler, W. G., Baumert, J. L., Tang, M. L., Gurrin, L. C., Mathai, M. L., Nordlee, J. A., Dunngalvin, A. and Hourihane, J. O. (2013) Peanut Allergen Threshold Study (PATS): validation of eliciting doses using a novel single-dose challenge protocol. Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol. 9(1), 35.
Zurzolo, G.A. (2013) “The state of play of precautionary labelling in Australia", World Allergy & Asthma Congress, Milan, 24 July
- Member, The Australian Centre for Food and Allergy Research
- Honorary member, The Gastro and Food Allergy Group at Murdoch Childrens Research Institute
Appearances in the media
- Confusing wording may lead to increased food allergy risks. Food Magazine, 26 July, 2013
Precautionary labelling puts out allergen sufferers at risk. Australian Institute of Food Safety, 17 September, 2013
Areas of expertise
- Food allergen labelling