Dr Dan van der Westhuizen is a lecturer in clinical exercise practice and Postgraduate Clinical Placement Coordinator for the College of Sport & Exercise Science. He teaches undergraduate and postgraduate clinical exercise science and rehabilitation programs, and practices as an accredited Exercise Physiologist with the Victoria University Clinical Exercise Rehabilitation (VUCER) unit within the College.
Besides being an accredited Clinical Exercise Physiologist with Exercise & Sports Science Australia, he is also a certified Wellness & Health Coach.
Dan has over 25 years working in the field of Clinical Exercise Physiology in South Africa, New Zealand and Australia. His previous roles include:
- Head "Exercise Physiologist" in the conjoint appointment between the University and the North West Medical Command (based at Potchefstroom University in the Faculty of Health Sciences; School of Biokinetics, Sports Science and Recreation).
- Senior "Exercise Physiologist" at 1 Military Hospital, Recovery Wing (Pretoria, South Africa).
- Head "Exercise Physiologist" at the South African Association for Health Promotion (Kempton Park, South Africa)
- Vice-Chairman of the South African Sports Medicine Association (North West region)
- South African National Defence Force's Head Sports/Exercise Scientist and Fitness Consultant (1999). Accompanied the S.A. National Defence Force delegation to the 2nd Military World Games (Croatia, Europe) during August 1999.
Dan's research interests include:
- exercise adherence in chronic disease with reference to flow, self-efficacy, self-regulation
- exercise intervention in persistent pain management, subjective well-being (happiness), QOL-measures, self-efficacy and self-esteem
- mindful exercise in the prevention and management of chronic diseases.
Mendoza, G., van der Westhuizen, D. and Selig, S. (2011) "Case studies in exercise for the management of weight", Clinical Exercise Science: A case based approach, Edited by M. Cameron, S. Selig, and D. Hemphill, Chatswood, NSW: Elsevier.
Selig, S., van der Westhuizen, D., Broadbent, S, Parmenter, B & Raymond, J (2011) "Case studies in exercise as therapy for cardiovascular conditions", Clinical Exercise Science: A case based approach. Edited by M. Cameron, S. Selig, and D. Hemphill, Chatswood, NSW: Elsevier.
Broadbent, S., Mendoza, G., van der Westhuizen, D. and Moss, S. (2011) "Case studies in exercise as therapy for respiratory conditions", Clinical Exercise Science: A case based approach. Edited by M. Cameron, S. Selig, and D. Hemphill, Chatswood, NSW: Elsevier.
Crow, J.F., Pearce, A.J., Veale, J.P., van der Westhuizen, D., Coburn, P.T., & Pizzari, T. (2009) "Hip adductor muscle strength is reduced preceding and during the onset of groin pain in elite junior Australian football players", Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport
van der Westhuizen, D., van der Westhuizen, L., Strydom, G. and Steyn, H. (2001) "The effects of leisure-time physical activity on low-density lipoprotein and apolipoprotein B in men", Published in African Journal of Physical Health Education Recreation and Dance, 2001, 7(1): 129-141, April.
- AHE4104 Clinical Exercise Practice
- AHE2006 Exercise Interventions for Healthy Populations
- AHE1207 Human Growth & Lifespan Development
- Accredited Clinical Exercise Physiologist with Exercise and Sports Science Australia (ESSA)
- Professional member of the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- Member of the Clinical Exercise Physiology Association (CEPA)(CEPA is a member of the American College of Sports Medicine Affiliate Societies).
Areas of expertise
- Exercise intervention in cancer survivors
- Exercise intervention in clients with metabolic and cardiovascular conditions (kidney disease, overweight, obesity, diabetes, cardiac)
- Wellness, Health & Lifestyle coaching